Choosing wedding vendors who fit the style and budget of your wedding day can be difficult, but getting to know the people behind the business often makes that decision much easier. In this series, Coffee with Caitlin, I want to introduce some of my favorite wedding vendor friends… or friendors as we call them.
Today’s interview is with Emily, one half of the husband and wife duo at E&E Special Events. Emily bakes delicious wedding cakes, and Ezra is a DJ. How fun is that? So while they work together, they both have very different jobs! Ryan and I were able to work with them at Alicia & Jordan’s wedding at Lesner Inn in June. Ezra kept the dance floor hopping all night and as soon as the night was over, I was already wishing for another piece of the almond cake with strawberry filling that Emily had made. It was SOOOO good!
What’s in your coffee cup/mug this morning?
- Usually water. I am a morning person and can usually get moving by 6am, but my coffee is much needed at around 1pm!
What does a normal day-in-the-life look like for you?
- During the school year, I get my kids up and ready for school and try to work out before I get crackin on cakes.
What do you do to keep your life balanced?
- I am still working on that! LOL Running a business, being a wife and mom, etc does require balance, but I would say its only by the grace of God I have balance in my life.
What is something non-wedding related you’ve been loving lately?
- Vacation! I love to travel and love to go on cruises and to the islands. We went on a short cruise this summer and it was much needed!
If you could give brides one piece of advice about wedding cakes, what would it be?
- I have lots of advice! Haha, but one thing would be stay away from "kitchen cakes," sheet cakes kept in the back while a smaller or artificial cake is decorated and on display. Being a caterer back in the day, that is only a convenience for them. While some Bakers make give you a discount to do that, it might not be worth it in the end. The sheet cakes may be sliced earlier in the evening, which would dry out the cake a little bit. The first time air hits your cake should be when you cut into it! Plus what guests would want to have a little square of sheet cake when they could have a gourmet piece of delicious layered cake with multiple fillings. Yum!
What is one thing you wish brides knew about DJs/reception music?
- This is really Ezra'a area of expertise, but I have stayed and helped him on many occasions, so I would have to say make sure the music you choose appeals to all guests. Ezra is great at that! You want all guests to have a great time and no one to be bored, offended, or be plugging their ears! LOL
If you could give brides one piece of advice about another wedding vendor, what would it be?
- Day of coordinators are great! If you don't need a planner, an extra set of hands the day of are great!
If you could give brides one piece of advice about their first year of marriage, what would it be?
- Figure out how your spouse feels loved. Our first year was interesting! We really needed to figure out how to love the other the way they felt love. That might sound strange, but the book "The 5 Love Languages" really helped us!
Yes! I think the 5 Love Languages is a must read for all couples!
What was a favorite detail you saw at a wedding this past year?
- Ezra did an end of the night special dance for the couple. As the guests were headed outside for the sparkler send off he played a song for the couple to just dance together, reflect on the night and have the photographer get those last few amazing shots.
What’s your current favorite design or technique for wedding cakes?
- I love incorporating unique elements into cakes. Hand made flowers, stencil or painting work.
What cake/filling combo is the most popular?
- Almond is the most popular cake, but since we offer multiple flavors and fillings at the same price, most couples get multiple yummy flavors. His favorite, her favorite, and sometimes MOB's favorite! LOL
How do you guys feel offering both cake and DJ services sets you apart and allows you to serve couples better?
- We love working together. We love being married and helping couples plan their special day. I do wedding cakes full time, but Ezra has a "day job" as a high school band director. Doing weddings together allows us to be together doing what we love and blessing other couples as they start their lives together.
What are three words that describe your ideal couple?
- Truly in love!
Do you ever dream about weddings or cakes?
- HAHA! ALL THE TIME!!!!
What is something you’d love to see become a wedding trend?
- Weddings that are unlike weddings. Something completely different than your average order of events. I am not even sure I know what that would be.
What is something your company is known for that sets you apart from others?
- I love all of our couples and try to take great care of them, but I think it is the quality of work that we provide at a fair cost that sets us apart.
Meet more of my favorite vendors:
Meet more of my favorite vendors:
Chelsea, Tidewater and Tulle
Missy, Antonia Christianson Events
Evelyn, Letterlyn Studio
Caitlyn, Blue Steel Lighting Design
Kristina, Norfolk Botanical Gardens
Dhalia Edwards, Makeup Artist
Adrienne, Heart's Content Events and Design
Jill, Sunkissed Events
Lindsay & Nadine, Snapqube
Emily, E&E Special Events