If you've been following along with my Engagement session series, you're probably brimming over with location ideas and outfit inspiration. To finish up that series, today I wanted to share a few tips you may not have thought of!
- Eat before the engagement session. Unfortunately, we often have to plan engagement sessions right around dinner time, because of sunset. I think it's a great idea to go out to eat after we've finished the session, but grabbing a good snack before will help you make it through without any stomach grumbling!
- Bring water, especially if it's going to be warm!
- Be sweet and loving to each other on the day of the session. You want to be able to enjoy cuddling during the session, so this might not be the best day for a stressful conversation about the guest list.
- Choose mints over gum. Chewing gum is never flattering in pictures!
- Check your outfits for panty lines. And if you have tan lines, keep that in mind when choosing your outfits!
- Plan the session around your regular salon visits. You'll want fresh hair color, eyebrows, and nails. But don't schedule them the same day in case you have any irritation. (And don't forget about your fiance's hair cut too!)
- Professional makeup will make your skin look FLAWLESS in photos, so ask your makeup artist about scheduling your trial that day. If not, a little extra eye makeup is perfect.
- Stop by the jewelry store and have your ring cleaned so it will be sparkly and ready for a close-up!
- If you're worried about sweat stains, plan an outfit change!
- If you want to use more than one location, I recommend a total walking distance of 1 mile or less, something we can easily walk in 15-20 minutes. (I use google maps to plan this out.) That gives us plenty of time to meander and stop frequently for portraits. If the distance is much more than that, we'd be doing more walking than portraits. The same goes for driving from one location to another, about 10-15 minutes is ideal.
Want to read more tips for your engagement session?
Choosing a Location
My Favorite Hampton Roads Locations
What To Wear
What Not to Wear
Shopping for an Engagement Session Dress
What Happens if it Rains
Getting to Know Your Photographer
How I Chose My Outfits
10 Final Tips